Sehenswürdigkeiten

Churches in Monaco

Monaco Cathedral

General Information
Admission free

4, rue Colonel Bellando de Castro
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 30 87 70

Description
Built in 1875 using white stone from La Turbie, the present-day Cathedral stands on the site of a 13th century church dedicated to Saint Nicolas and houses the tombs of the former Princes of Monaco. It is also the final resting placeof Monaco's much loved Princess Grace. Of particular interest are the retable (circa 1500) to the right of the transept painted by the Louis Bréa from neighboring Nice, the Great Altar and the Episcopal throne in white Carrara marble.

Pontifical services take place on the major religious festivals such as the Feast of Sainte Dévote (27th January) and the National holiday (19th November).

On feast days and during religious music concerts, one can hear the magnificent four-keyboard organ, which was inaugurated in 1976.
From September through June, “Les Petits Chanteurs de Monaco” and the singers of the Cathedral Choir School sing during the mass every Sunday at 10:00AM

Museum of Chapel of the Visitation

General Information
Open daily (except Mondays): from 10:00AM to 4:00PM
Rate (per person): 3.00€
Children from 6 to 14 years old, students and adults over 65 years: 1.50€
Duration of visit: 30 minutes

Place de la Visitation
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 50 07 00

Description
This museum, housed in a baroque style chapel dating from the VII century, is home to part of the remarkable collection of sacred works of art belonging to Mrs. Piasecka Johnson, with masterpieces from Rubens, Zurbaran, Ribera and masters of the Italian Baroque period.

Church of Mercy

General Information
Admission free

Place de la Mairie
MC 98000, Monaco

Description
Located on the Place de la Mairie (in the Old Town) and built in 1639, this chapel was the seat of the Brotherhood of Black Penitents, whose first Prior was Prince Honoré II.

Its treasures of religious art include a Christ carved out of wood by the Monégasque François-Joseph Bosio, official sculptor to the Emperor Napoleon I. Above the entrance to the chapel is a magnificent nineteenth-century ceramic scene.

Church of Saint-Charles

General Information
Admission free

Avenue Saint-Charles
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 30 74 90

Description
This elegantb uilding is in the French Renaissance style, with a bell-tower rising to a height of 108 feet. It was inaugurated in 1883.
Nineteen stained glass windows light the nave.
The gilded chandeliers come from the former armory of the Prince’s Palace now the Throne Room.

Church of Sainte Dévote

General Information
Admission free

La Condamine, Place Sainte-Dévote
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 50 25 60

Description
This votive chapel dedicated to the Patron Saint of the Principality and to the Prince and his family was built in the XI century in the Vallon des Gaumates, at the entrance to which the frail skiff carrying the Saint sank in the IV century.

On January 26 every year, at dusk, a boat is burnt on the square in front of the chapel as part of the ceremonies of a traditional religious festival that still has its fervent devotees.